Monday, August 7, 2017

Obsessed With Covers #40: Everless, Heart of Iron, Ultraxenopia

Y'all know how much I love a pretty cover. I think about...40% of the books that end up on my shelves (be they physical or digital) do so because of the covers. Call me shallow but you have to admit that a pretty, shiny cover will catch your eye faster than a dull, boring one. Two, simple rules that I'll follow:


  • 1, 2 or 3 (no more than 3, though) covers per week;
  • books should be new-ish; no more than 2 years old.
Oh, before I share the covers that made me drool or want to stare at them for hours and hours, I have to say something. This is a semi-original idea. Why semi? Because almost every book blogger has something similar. The only thing I came up with was the title. If by any chance there's another blogger with a similar feature with the same title, I assure you I'm not stealing your idea. I'm just THAT bad with titles. Believe me, I'd love to be smarter and have a witty name for this feature, but I don't. So, no copyright infringement/theft/steal or anything of the sort was desired. All I can say is sorry :P


It's been a while since I last did one of these posts, and during this time I managed to find some pretty awesome covers that I just wish I had enough money to buy each and every one of these books if only just for how pretty they are.

Here are some of the most gorgeous covers I've seen lately:

There's a scene in Aladdin at the beginning, where Jafar looks into an hourglass and the sand transforms to show Aladdin doing...whatever he was doing. That's what I saw when I first saw this cover, that the hourglass is much like a crystal ball for someone with very nefarious purposes. I don't know if that's the case, but whomever the cover artist is, they did a damn fine job with this cover. From the sand itself, to the metal/silver embellishments on the hourglass, to the title, to the background, this cover is meant to draw your eye, and it does that perfectly. The only thing that would make it even better is if some of the details were embossed in some way. Or if there was a double cover, like the old romance books, were you get to see the rest of the image hiding behind the hourglass frame


Everless by Sara Holland



I can't help but imagine a giant space water lily when I look at this cover. A water lily made of reinforced glass and metal, with satellites and oxygen tanks. I imagine that the "heart" in question is this flower-shaped spaceship, so I'm curious what is so special about it. I honestly love this cover and I'm super curious to see exactly how the cover relates to the story.

The galaxy in the background is also gorgeous, and I like that it somehow makes the spaceship even prettier. I wonder if those are really satellites or if they're enemy spacecrafts, trying to destroy the "heart". 








This is where my mad scientist self is doing a happy dance, because that cover makes me think "mad scientist decides to play god, make up a world and then destroy it just for fun". I love the contrast between the fire in the Erlenmeyer flask and the white bird (dove??) that is created by the smoke. Kind of like "there's still hope, even when everything goes to hell" kind of thing. I'm really, really intrigued just by looking at the cover, and I am planning on checking out the book, to see if in any way my inner mad scientist was right about the cover or if she needs to be leashed a little bit more *mad laughter* Ehem....*clears throat*





Ultraxenopia by M.A. Phipps



What about you, my lovelies? Any great, gorgeous covers that drew your eye and tickled your imagination lately?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...