Monday, February 20, 2017

Obsessed With Covers #39: The Valiant, Ash and Quill, Traitor To The Throne

Y'all know how much I love a pretty cover. I think about...40% of the books that end up on my shelves (be they physical or digital) do so because of the covers. Call me shallow but you have to admit that a pretty, shiny cover will catch your eye faster than a dull, boring one. Two, simple rules that I'll follow:


  • 1, 2 or 3 (no more than 3, though) covers per week;
  • books should be new-ish; no more than 2 years old.
Oh, before I share the covers that made me drool or want to stare at them for hours and hours, I have to say something. This is a semi-original idea. Why semi? Because almost every book blogger has something similar. The only thing I came up with was the title. If by any chance there's another blogger with a similar feature with the same title, I assure you I'm not stealing your idea. I'm just THAT bad with titles. Believe me, I'd love to be smarter and have a witty name for this feature, but I don't. So, no copyright infringement/theft/steal or anything of the sort was desired. All I can say is sorry :P

Photobucket

Hey there everyone! Before I share some new-ish, cool, pretty covers, I have a question for you. In your honest opinion, is there such a thing as "cover-lust slump"? Like can you get tired of pretty covers? Not tired, maybe tired is the wrong word. Indifferent? I've had this... thing over the past few weeks, where I just didn't notice pretty covers anymore. Sure, I notice them, but it takes a while for me to notice them, and I wonder why. I wonder if this is in any way related to bookstagram. Because my feed is constantly full of pretty covers, and I wonder if somehow that makes me immune to noticing them, as opposed to before, when I didn't get to see those pretty, gorgeous cover arts every day, therefore making them more noticeable. Am I just weird or is this a thing you noticed? 

Anyway, moving on to the pretty covers.

I grew up in the 90s, which, in case you're wondering, means tons of Xena, The Warrior Princess marathons. So there's no way for me to think of anything other than Xena when looking at this cover. Based only on the blurb, Fallon makes me thing of a mashup between young, villanous Xena and innocent Gabrielle, with a sprinkling of whichever amazon warrior was your favorite from that show. I'm really excited for this book, and I have to say, my expectations are super high. I also like how the model seems so in control and badass, and so threatening, even though her sword is on the ground, and she has just what looks like a knife or a tiny sword to fight with, and no shield, no other weapons, not even proper armor. I would have wanted for her to not have that model-ish pose with her feet, but the cover is still amazing. And I love the crowd in the background, they look so still, they look like they're either turned to stone, or they're just waiting for something great to happen.


Each new cover added to The Great Library series is amazing, but this one might be my favorite one. I love how tragic it looks, how gloomy it all seems based on just this cover art. It kinda makes me feel like not only is The Great Library, and the entire Library system at risk, but also the lives of Jess and his friends. I still have to read the second book, but I am intrigued to see what happens now with the characters, as well as with the Library. 











My first ever adventure video game I ever played, again back in the 90s, with the 2D graphics and strange music, was Prince Of Persia. I still can't remember how to make those high jumps and keep from falling into the swords, but that's another story. That's what I think of when I see this cover. A female version of that game, and I would have wanted to have that growing up. I adore this cover, to be honest. I know I was in love with the original cover art for the first book in the series, but the new cover art is even more gorgeous. There's something so incredible about it, between the colors, the movement, the model, the little embellishment underneath the title, everything. It's kind of like a still from a movie, and I desperately want to watch/read that movie. 






What about you? Did you see any covers that caught your eyes lately? What about my weird introduction to this post? Do you think there's such a thing as "cover-lust slump"?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...