Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Re-read Book Review: Dance With The Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, #3)


Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Series: Dark Hunters # 3
My Rating: 5 cups
Blurb: (from Goodreads):


Zarek's Point of View:
Dark-Hunter: A soulless guardian who stands between mankind and those who would see mankind destroyed. Yeah, right. The only part of that Code of Honor I got was eternity and solitude.

Insanity: A condition many say I suffer from after being alone for so long. But I don't suffer from my insanity-I enjoy every minute of it.

Trust: I can't trust anyone...not even myself. The only thing I trust in is my ability to do the wrong thing in any situation and to hurt anyone who gets in my way.
Truth: I endured a lifetime as a Roman slave, and 900 years as an exiled Dark-Hunter. Now I'm tired of enduring. I want the truth about what happened the night I was exiled-I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Astrid (Greek, meaning star): An exceptional woman who can see straight to the truth. Brave and strong, she is a point of light in the darkness. She touches me and I tremble. She smiles and my cold heart shatters.
Zarek: They say even the most damned man can be forgiven. I never believed that until the night Astrid opened her door to me and made this feral beast want to be human again. Made me want to love and be loved. But how can an ex-slave whose soul is owned by a Greek goddess ever dream of touching, let alone holding, a fiery star?


There's something about a tortured hero that makes my heart pound. It's not that I'm happy they're tortured. It makes me sad and then angry at the people who hurt the poor guy. But I love to see how the author manages to save him and find the perfect mate for him. So it's not a surprise that I loved Zarek and his story.

It was heartbreaking to read it and some of Zarek's memories made me want to cry and cry. I was so happy to see Astrid manage to look beyond his initial response to her and to be able to push all his defense mechanisms out of the way and discover the real Zarek, the tender lover, the hero, the guy with a noble heart, the man who would risk his life to save everyone around him.

The one thing I always see in Kenyon's books is that she manages to show how different people see the same scene, the same person or action in a very different way. It's the same with each and every character. You can never really know what you'll see next. So if in Night Embrace  you read about a cruel, crazy Zarek, in Dance With The Devil you see the good side of him, the one incapable of hurting someone for no reason, the person who, despite everything that has been thrown at him, is still trying to find the goodness in people. And it's the same thing with each character in this series.

As always, more questions pop up as you read the series, and it's what keeps it interesting. Behind the love stories, you have an incredible world to discover and it's a world that I truly adore.



Rocked my world photo Image9.png
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...